How to remove scratches and dents from O’verlays
- You will need a hairdryer or heat gun.
- Set the hairdryer to high heat and high fan speed. Let it warm up.
- If using a heat gun, set it to low temperature and high fan speed.
- In a well-ventilated area, place the O’verlays panel on a flat, heat-proof surface. If repairing a painted O’verlays panel, test first on a small section of the panel (that won’t be seen) to be sure the paint will not melt or bubble up from the heat. If repairing an unpainted panel proceed to the next step.
- With the nozzle about 2” to 3” from the scratch, sway the heat gun back and forth slowly over the mark until the mark disappears. Be sure not to get too close to the material with the heat, the material will melt.
- Do not keep the heat directed onto the material for too long, or put the heat source too close! It will cause irreparable damage!
- Work the heat over the mark in short bursts – around 10-15 seconds at a time
- If the mark is not disappearing quickly enough, give the area some time to cool down and try again later.
- Sometimes the repaired dent will leave a shadow. The shadow can be touched up with paint if needed.